The Cité internationale des arts is an artists' residence in the heart of Paris that brings together artists to work on a creative or research project in all disciplines. In collaboration with its many partners, the Cité internationale des arts opens several calls for thematic and/or project-based applications throughout the year.
To support artists after their residency, the Cité internationale des arts works with organisations that share its challenges and values.
To this end, a partnership agreement has been signed between the Cité internationale des arts and the City of Poitiers with the aim, in particular, of creating the conditions for an original experience, a meeting between an artist and the public in a given area.
Within this framework, at least two artists who have previously been in residence at the Cité internationale des arts may be hosted successively in residence at the Villa Bloch from 15 April 2024.
The residency is organised for artistic as well as cultural and educational purposes for the widest possible audience. It is based on the full availability of an artist during the year 2024, either during the 1st semester or the 2nd.
For 3 or 6 months, the artist will be provided with accommodation and a workspace on the Villa Bloch site.
The residency will be made up of a period devoted to creation and a period devoted to outreach activities (meetings with the public, artistic workshops, etc.). This mediation time will not exceed 30% of the overall residency time.
The City of Poitiers will support the artist throughout the residency in the implementation of his/her artistic project, as well as in the development and implementation of actions aimed at a wide audience. These actions will be consistent with the artist's project and the possibilities of local players and partners.
The aim of this scheme is to enable a wide-ranging encounter with the general public (adults, young people, children, schoolchildren, associations, elected representatives, etc.).
Throughout the residency, the selected artist will endeavour to discuss and share his or her work with local people.
Depending on the artist's residency project, the City of Poitiers will endeavour to find the necessary partnerships to implement it (work space in particular).
The residency is for artistic, cultural and educational purposes, for the widest possible audience.
The residency strives to create the conditions for an original experience, a meeting between an artist and the public in a given area.
The aims of the residency are to
• to provide an artist with conditions conducive to creative work, by making available accommodation with a space for writing at Villa Bloch and/or a space for working on the potential stage at a partner structure for the duration of the residency.
• to encourage and enable meetings and exchanges between the artist and the public through meetings on the creative work, educational workshops and any other form of mediation.
This scheme is based on the full availability of the artists, either for a 3-month residency or a 6-month residency.
This residency programme is aimed at artists from :
• performing arts (playwriting, directing, choreography, musical composition, circus, performance, etc.)
• who speak and write in French
• able to work with a wide range of audiences
• live in mainland France
• have completed at least one residency at the Cité internationale des arts, or are currently in residency.
• The completed, dated, and signed application form
• A cover letter stating the applicant's interest in working in the residence
• A statement of intent about the project envisaged as part of the residency in Poitiers
• A curriculum vitae
• A portfolio of references to previous work
All applications must be sent electronically by 10 March 2024 to the following two addresses: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
The references must be sent as a single pdf file. Please indicate your name on these files.
Applications that are incomplete, do not comply with the instructions or are received after the deadline will not be considered.
Duration of the residency: 3 months or 6 months (2 residency periods are offered, regardless of the duration of the residency requested)
• between Monday 15 April and 15 October 2024
• between Friday 15 November 2024 and Friday 16 May 2025
• Work space and accommodation: free of charge at the Villa Bloch for the artist alone (without family)
• Monthly grant from the City of Poitiers: €1,500
• Paris-Poitiers transport costs: paid by the Cité internationale des arts
• Tripartite agreement: a residency agreement specifying the respective commitments of the artist, the Cité internationale des arts and the City of Poitiers will be drawn up and signed before the start of the residency.
• Public transport is available close to the Villa Bloch: a sponsorship will enable a bus pass to be issued for the duration of the residency.
• The hire of an electric bicycle by the artist can be facilitated by the City of Poitiers
• There is no access for residents with reduced mobility.