Camões, the Portuguese cultural centre in France, and the Cité internationale des arts have co-constructed an annual creative and research residency programme for Portuguese visual artists and scriptwriters/directors working and living in Portugal.
Launched in 2023, the aim of the programme is to encourage and facilitate the mobility of Portuguese artists and expand their professional and artistic network. The Cité Internationale des arts in Paris, the Camões Portuguese Cultural Centre in France and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Paris are committed to supporting the project of each winner by providing them with support, networking and a funded three-month residency in Paris.
Following this call for applications and the meeting of a jury of professionals from the world of art and culture, a visual artist and a scriptwriter/director will be selected.
The residency program will host two laureates: a visual artist and a writer/director at the Cité internationale des arts (Paris).
The recipients will benefit from :
- Support, meetings and networking opportunities organised by the partners in the residency programme;
- Living and working space at the Cité internationale des arts;
- A living allowance of 1000 euros per month;
- The payment of international transportation to and from Paris airports for a total of 200 euros (all taxes included).
To participate in the call for applications, the artist must :
• Be of Portuguese nationality, work and reside in Portugal;
• with an artistic practice in the fields of visual arts and cinema (in the process of writing a screenplay);
• with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience in the artistic sector;
• To have already developed one or more creative projects.
Collective applications must be made in the following manner, depending on the case:
- the project is common: a single application on behalf of both artists
- the projects are different: two separate applications must be submitted (please indicate in the "miscellaneous remarks" at the end of the form that you wish to share a studio and specify the name of the second applicant).
Applications for collective projects involving more than two artists are exceptional, given the number of studio apartments available. They will result in the attribution of a studio apartment, a living grant and a production grant.
The applications will be examined by a multidisciplinary jury composed of qualified personalities from the French and Portuguese artistic sectors.
In addition to evaluating the candidate's professional background, the jury members will pay particular attention to
- the artistic quality of the file and the research project presented
- the arguments presented on the necessity of this residency in France and at the Cité internationale;
- the work protocol envisaged and the contacts or partnerships already established with a view to developing a residency project.
Submission of applications:
From January 26 to March 10, 2024 at midnight (GMT/UTC +1)
From Septemebr 2 to November 27, 2024
The online registration form is to be completed HERE.
Candidates' files must contain the following elements:
• A detailed curriculum vitae (4 pages maximum), in French or English;
• An artistic dossier, in French or English, including visuals of works with complete captions (15 pages maximum), if necessary with video links, audio files representative of the work if necessary (mp3, avi);
• A letter of intent, in French or English, in which the candidates explain the motivations behind their approach and their interest in joining the residency program. They will have to justify the reasons why their work justifies the need for this residency in Paris and at the Cité internationale des arts, from an artistic point of view, as well as from the point of view of their career and professional network (3 pages maximum);
Multiple applications will not be accepted.
To submit your application, a Google account is required. If you do not have one, please create one HERE.
With a surface area ranging from 25 to 50m2, the studio apartments are designed to combine production and daily life. They are composed of a working room, a kitchen, a bathroom and a night space. A workshop can accommodate up to two adults and a child up to 7 years old.
Unfortunately, the proposed workshop-accommodations do not meet the current standards of accessibility for people with disabilities, and we are working on this for the future.
For any request concerning the accessibilitý of the spaces of the Cité internationale des arts, we are at your disposal.
The Camões - Portuguese Cultural Center in Paris, created in 1995, has for mission the promotion of the Portuguese culture in France and the teaching of Portuguese.
The Cultural Center promotes and supports projects that contribute to the diffusion and internationalization of Portuguese culture in its various forms of artistic expression. It also supports the cultural programming of the Consulates, Readers' Offices and Portuguese Language Centers in France.
The Camões also provides Portuguese language courses: Portuguese as a Foreign Language (PLE) for foreigners and Portuguese as a Second Language (PLS) for Portuguese speakers.
All levels of language are offered, in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Our Cultural Center is also a center for Portuguese language certification exams.
The Cité internationale des arts is a residency centre that brings artists and culture professionals together in the heart of Paris, allowing them to work on creative projects or carry out research project in all disciplines.
The Cité internationale des arts provides an environment that is conducive to creativity by hosting residents for periods of two months to one year and facilitating contacts with arts and culture professionals. Residents receive personalised support and assistance from the Cité internationale des arts team at its two sites: in the Marais (18 rue de l’Hôtel de Ville, 75004 Paris) and Montmartre (24 rue Norvins, 75018 Paris).
Each residency is an opportunity to meet and exchange with more than 300 artists and culture professionals of all generations, nationalities and disciplines. In collaboration with its many partners, the Cité internationale des arts calls for applications on specific themes and/or projects several times a year.