The Art Explora Foundation together with Cité internationale des arts co-construct a unique residency program for French and international artists and researchers.
The program invites candidates to propose a project that questions contemporary issues, including new technologies, the links between art and science, and environmental and social issues.
Two formats are proposed and are open to artists and researchers of all nationalities, without age limit. Eligible artists are those who can demonstrate a minimum of five years of professional activity.
• SOLO Program: for artists only. Two 6-month SOLO residency sessions each hosting 6 artists: March - August 2022 / September 2022 - February 2023. That is to say 12 artists hosted each year. The
Eligible artistic disciplines are: visual arts, performing arts, digital arts.
• DUO Program: for the collaboration between a researcher and an artist. For this program, only one application on behalf of both members of the duo is required. Four 3-month DUO residency sessions will each host a duo: March - May 2022 / June - August 2022 / September - November 2022 / December 2022 - February 2023. That is to say 8 artists and researchers hosted each year. The eligible research fields are: humanities, social sciences, sciences, technological innovation, sustainable development, art criticism & curating.
All information and practical questions to read below and available > HERE < (please consult these elements before submitting your application).
Every resident will benefit from:
• A 6-month (SOLO program) or 3-month (DUO program) residency at the Cité internationale des arts de Montmartre
• A live-in studio of about 50m2, equipped and furnished (shared in the DUO program)
• A living allowance of 1000 euros per month (for each member of the duo, if applicable)
• A production grant of up to 3,000 euros, delivered upon proof and according to the specificities of the project (global envelope shared between the two members of the duo, if applicable)
• A round trip to Paris paid for by the foundation (for each member of the duo, if applicable)
Two formats are proposed and are open to artists and researchers of all nationalities, without age limit. Eligible artists are those who can prove a minimum of five years of professional activity.
From October 5th to November 15th, 2021 included
• For the first session on January 2022
• For the second session on April 2022.
Interested artists or researchers must propose a project on the online application form in French or English (no other language accepted) that includes
• A description of the artistic or research project that will be developed during the residency (general description, stages of construction of the project): 3500 signs maximum (not including spaces), which may be accompanied by visuals
• A letter of motivation in written form detailing the importance of residing in France for the realization of your project (conceptual, geographical, practical, social link...): 2 pages maximum
• A portfolio of past projects relevant to the proposed project: 30 pages maximum
• A CV or detailed biography: 5 pages maximum
Applications are made via the online form. Once your application is finalized, you will not be able to modify it.
The selection committee is made up of leading figures from the world of art and research and representatives of the Cité Internationale des Arts and the Art Explora Foundation.. This committee will meet in December 2020.
Members of the selection committee:
• Diana Campbell Betancourt : artistic director of the Samdani Art Foundation and curator of the Dhaka Art Summit (USA & Bangladesh)
• Vinciane Despret : philosopher of science, professor at the University of Liège and the Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
• Christine Macel : chief curator at the Centre Pompidou (France)
• Simon Njami: curator, artistic director of the 12th and 13th edition of the Dakar Biennale, Dak'art (Cameroon & Switzerland)
• Hans Ulrich Obrist: artistic director of the Serpentine Galleries (United Kingdom)
• Philippe Vergne: director of the Serralves Foundation, in Porto (Portugal & France)
Unfortunately, the available live-in studios do not comply without current standards in terms of accessibility for the disabled, however we are working to remedy this situation in the future. We remain at your disposal if you have any questions about accessibility at the Cité internationale des arts.
Art Explora is a foundation which deeply believes in the power of culture to create dialogues and to reinforce social cohesion. The foundation is thus committed to bridging cultural gaps in all the projects it undertakes by promoting access to the arts and culture for as many people as possible.
In order to carry out this mission of general interest, the foundation is promoting several projects: creating a digital platform for the discovery of the arts and art history that will appeal to the widest possible audience; setting up in a historical exhibition site with a magnificent park where the links between art, science and nature will be highlighted; promoting itinerant devices such as the Mumo, a mobile museum in collaboration with the Centre Pompidou, or the boat ArtExplorer designed as a floating museum, to meet people from all continents of the globe.
The Cité internationale des arts is an artists' residency that brings together artists in the heart of Paris and allows them to implement a creative or research project in all disciplines.
For periods of two months to one year, the Cité internationale des arts allows artists to work in an environment that is conducive to creation and open to meetings with professionals from the cultural milieu. Residents benefit from customized support from the Cité internationale des arts team.
In the Marais or in Montmartre, the live-in studio (a space for living and creating) allows residents to cohabit with more than 300 artists and actors from the art world of all generations, all nationalities and all disciplines. In collaboration with its many partners, the Cité internationale des arts opens several calls for applications on specific themes and/or projects throughout the year.