The MEP – Collection Gervanne + Matthias Leridon Collection - Cité internationale des arts Residency is a new residency program for emerging artists, dedicated to African photography, created by Gervanne and Matthias Leridon in collaboration with the MEP and the Cité internationale des arts.
The purpose of this residency is to support young African artists and to highlight practices that explore new forms of photography. The aim is also to promote artists’ mobility to enable them to share their work and expand their artistic and professional networks.
With this program, the Collection Gervanne + Matthias Leridon and its partners commit themselves to support the laureate's project by offering him/her a special support and a three-month residency in the heart of Paris.
All the information and practical questions to read below (please consult these elements before submitting your application).
The recipient will benefit from:
• A three-month artistic residency, from January 3rd to March 28th, 2022, at the Cité internationale des arts, in a studio with a work-place and a furnished living-place (bedroom, shower, kitchen, wifi), located in the heart of Paris, and near the MEP.
• A specific artistic and professional accompaniment: access to the networks and documentary resources of the three partners.
The program includes:
• International transportation to and from Paris with a VISA and travel insurance.
• A grant for living expenses: 1 500 euros /month.
• A production grant: 1 500 euros.
• A presentation event, to be defined according to the laureate's project.
To apply, the photographer must:
• Be a national and resident of an African country.
• Be between 18 and 40 years old.
• Be able to provide proof of professional artistic activity for at least three years.
• Have already developed one or more creative photographic projects (exhibition, publication, etc).
From October 15th to November 14th, 2021 included
Tuesday November 30th, 2021
From January 3rd to March 28th, 2022
Candidates’ files must contain the following elements:
• Completed online application form (NB: you must have a Google account).
• A detailed resume.
• A portfolio with several photographic projects already finished.
• A note presenting the project proposed for the artistic residency
The selection will be made by a jury of professionals, with the directors of the three partner institutions, and a specialist invited for the program.
The portfolios and residency projects will be judged on the quality of the work, its artistic coherence, and the necessity of its realization in Paris.
With a surface area ranging from 25 to 60m2, the studio apartments are designed to combine production and daily life. They consist of a work room, a kitchen, a bathroom and a sleeping area. A live-in studio can accommodate up to two adults and a child up to 7 years old.
Unfortunately, the proposed live-in studio do not meet current accessibility standards for people with disabilities, and we are working on this for the future.
If you have any questions about the accessibility of the Cité internationale des arts, we are at your disposal.
Located in the heart of Paris in the historic Marais district, the MEP is an institution dedicated to photography. Its programming reflects its openness to current practices and new aesthetics by presenting exhibitions of artists of international stature and its commitment to emerging creation. Supported by the City of Paris, the MEP also houses a vast collection of post-war photographs and one of the largest specialized libraries in Europe.
The Gervanne + Matthias Leridon Collection is at once a human adventure, a story of passion, encounters, aesthetic impulses and artistic choices. Gathering several thousands of works, this collection is a reference in the art world. Gervanne and Matthias Leridon are keen to share with audiences around the world the personal commitment they have with each of the artists from the African continent. The Leridon Collection now includes works by more than 300 contemporary artists from 34 African countries.
The Cité internationale des arts is an artist residency that brings together artists in the heart of Paris and allows them to implement a creative or research project in all disciplines.
From two months to a year, the Cité internationale des arts allows artists to work in an favourable environment for artistic creation, and to meet culture professionals. The team of the Cité internationale des arts provides residents with individual support.
In the Marais or in Montmartre, the live-in studios (spaces for living and creating) allow residents to cohabit with more than 300 artists and art professionals of all generations, nationalities and disciplines. In collaboration with its many partners, the Cité internationale des arts opens several calls for applications on specific themes and/or projects throughout the year.